About

Bud Weidenthal was a reporter, columnist and assistant City Editor for The Cleveland Press from 1950 to 1981.
He served as Vice President of Cuyahoga Community College until 1989, and editor of the Urban Report from 1990 until 2005.
Bud passed away in 2022.

9.05.2013

Dr. Freud, Wake Up!


Recently I read in the Times that the decision makers of the Psychiatric profession at their annual meeting have declared the malady called “hoarding phobia”, an official mental illness: eligible for treatment by a certified shrink. Covered, thank the lord, by Medicare.


I’ve often wondered how they decided these things. So now I know. And I am delighted. Indeed, Dr. Freud should be alive to share this milestone of medical science. I wondered to myself how he would react to this historic moment.          
With me, saving stuff is sort of a personal thing. Not a disease, simply more of a sentimental habit.
Got it doctor? A habit, not a compulsion. Not an obsession.
I simply don’t throw significant stuff away. Dr. Freud, are you listening? For very logical, non-psychiatric reasons.


I have become more aware of this in recent years since Margie has become my partner. She doesn’t have my compulsion to keep things. She a cleaner, a straightener, a thrower away. As you know that hasn’t been labeled a sickness. Not Yet.
Stuff, it turns out, is in my mind the essence of life in these days of digital non-existence. Without stuff, what is there? what’s left that has any meaning? Digitalized faces and words, down in the bowels of some computer somewhere on a discarded iPhone...only to be relegated onto some cloud up there somewhere never to be seen or heard from again.


That’s not stuff. That’s not essence. That’s not human, doctor.
As I move more deeply into my octo years, I tend to fixate on this kind of stuff. For example, aging photos of my grandfather Maurice and Grandma Lida on the beach at Lake Erie in 1911. I never knew him.
But he is there in my heart, as a good looking man and a warm human being. I cherish dozens of hand written love letters between the two lovers when they were courting. They both worked downtown. Passion. You could feel it growing through the months of courtship... The earliest letter started with “Leda”, then Dear Friend Lida, My Dearest Lida, and then simply, Dearest. You could feel the passion growing, as Grandma Lida began more to respond, sometimes passionately...and then the wedding.
I know Grandpa Maurice through his written, articles in the Saturday Evening Post about Mark Hanna and President McKinley, about theater and politics in the Plain Dealer. His crusade to have Shakespeare’s Merchant of Venice taken from the curriculum of the Cleveland schools for their anti-Semitic overtones.
Yes I know, Dr. Freud that sounds like censorship. But things were very different for Jews in the in the 1920’s and thirties. You must remember. When you got kicked out of Germany simply because you were Jewish.


And then, Dr. Freud, there was the fate of Grandma Belle, Grace’s mother, a magnificent woman who taught kindergarten in the New York City schools most of her life, starting in a one room schoolhouse on Staten Island. She died unexpectedly in the 80’s. And by the time we got to the apartment on the west side of Manhattan, her husband, a very pragmatic pharmacist, was cleaning out the closets of every stitch of her clothing.  He piled up the school things and other mementos, and wanted them out.
Sadly, there was a truck driver strike in New York. No one could pick up anything. So we decided to give it all to the custodian, a nice man with a family, who promised to get it all to the proper place, where it would be useful.
A couple of days later, after the funeral, we were walking out of the apartment on busy W. 79th Street to hail a cab to LaGuardia, and there it all was, strewn on the sidewalk and the gutter. The essence of her life simply waiting for the rubbish drivers strike to end. There was absolutely no distinction on the sidewalk of this busy Manhattan street between the rubbish, the garbage and Grandma Belle. I had a lump in my throat, Grace was in tears as we headed out to the airport. She didn’t stop crying until we landed in Cleveland.
It was over, very much over.   
Today in the antiseptic digital age...they simply close down your Facebook homepage and it’s over. No muss no fuss.
“Dr, Freud, are you listening?” I said “It all started when I was a nervous little kid. I starting saving newspaper articles. I still have them.”
What? Am I covered, by what??? Yes I have full Medicare, and AARP gap.  You’ll be paid in full, don’t worry doctor. As I was saying, I was a little boy. I think I felt guilty when I thought about sex, and...Dr. Freud you’re dozing off again...Dr. Freud!


 

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Weidenthal,
    I have a patient, who has collected, among other things, over 600 empty dannon yogurt cups, claiming that they "could be useful for arts and crafts projects." She reported that this is also why she has some 20 years of magazines, newspapers and junk mail stacked in her home so high and wide that she can no longer make her way down one hallway and into 2 of her bedrooms (which are also so full of collected "things" that the rooms are no longer functional. Her husband has difficulty making his way from the front of the home to the bedroom. He has several medical problems and if he were to have some problem and need an ambulance, they would not be able to extract him from his bedroom.

    The number of patients who have this problem are more numerous than your think.

    With respect,

    A.J. Zolten (an old classmate of Suzie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi AJ!
    Fortunately my dad is merely sentimental. Hardly a "hoarder". But I do share his desire to hang on to family mementos.
    :)
    Maybe there is a hoarding "spectrum"?
    Certainly not a thing to make fun of.
    I watch the TV show. It's definitely a severe issue for many folks.
    -SWS

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...