About

Bud Weidenthal was a reporter, columnist and assistant City Editor for The Cleveland Press from 1950 to 1981.
He served as Vice President of Cuyahoga Community College until 1989, and editor of the Urban Report from 1990 until 2005.
Bud passed away in 2022.

11.14.2011

To Whom It May Concern:

On This Special Day, Thank You.
For depositing me on this planet, kicking, screaming and hanging on to my sister’s big toe for dear life….

And choosing the United States of America endowed precious gift of human freedom, unrivaled in world history. Smack in the middle of the Roaring Twenties. Between the War to End all Wars, and the war of the greatest generation.

For permitting me to live in remarkable times. To have shared for a brief moment the sights and sounds of Flappers, Fitzgerald, Cole Porter, and Dancing in the Dark, silent movies, dance marathons, Al Jolson and Maurice Chevalier.

For endowing us with a gutsy, selfless mother who could survive the gruesomely premature death of her husband and our father when were just five and she was still in her thirties.


For permitting us to endure the depression, a rare and mostly forgotten time when community, along with economic pain, came a refreshing humanness and personal connectedness as primary characteristics.  When family really mattered (like coming together to listen to Jack Benny every Friday night).  If there was suffering we shared it, but there was always hope. 
Bing Crosby sang “Every time it rains it rains Pennies from Heaven…” Dorothy found the Wizard of Oz to be something of a hoax.

For sending me to Coventry and Roosevelt and particularly Heights High, Sam Sheppard and his lovely girlfriend Marilyn, the Keystones and Frank Sinatra, Ray and Bob Eberly, June Christy, Stan Kenton...and the morning after graduation enlisting me in the US Army, getting me assigned to the 95th Infantry division, as it was preparing to sail to Europe to join Gen. George Patton‘s Third Army.

For awarding me the air medal, and very special appreciation to you for my not having had to kill anybody. (Not sure I could have done it anyway.)
Thanks for giving me the strength, as an over-protected teenager, to do a man’s job. And survive.
For admitting me to the University of Michigan weeks after discharge. Two successive national football championship two Rose Bowls, sports editor of the Daily good friends at Pi Lam and a little learning on the side for good measure.

For getting me that job at The Press a week after graduation. Ralph Locher, Ralph Perk, Dennis Kucinich, Carl Stokes, The Hough riots, the Kent State killings, the school desegregation trial, The Sheppard murder and trial. The burning river, the inevitable decline of a once great city of the industrial revolution.

And as the presses began to grind to a permanent halt, for moving me to Tri-C without missing a day of work. Nine years of hugely challenging and rewarding work as vice president.

And fifteen more with the Urban College Project, working with 30 college presidents from the US and Britain to make affordable education better.
And yes, for 375,00 frequent flyer miles. Special thanks.

For giving me the grace of Grace and the strength, patience and love to care for her during those difficult last three years.  And the blessing of my daughter and her brood. For sending Margie and a fresh Texas Longhorn-tinged fast paced lifestyle as I plunge, once again kicking and screaming, into the November of my years.

Thanks for the ride, whoever you are.  Rest assured, I have my seat belt fastened, ready for the next adventure. And one thing is certain. It won’t be boring. 

Sincerely, 
Your friend in Cleveland

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...