About

Bud Weidenthal was a reporter, columnist and assistant City Editor for The Cleveland Press from 1950 to 1981.
He served as Vice President of Cuyahoga Community College until 1989, and editor of the Urban Report from 1990 until 2005.
Bud passed away in 2022.

11.01.2016

My Life As a Hero

This headline says...My Life as a Hero!
Wait a minute. Hold on, guys.
Who wrote that headline?
I'm no hero. Never have been. Never really wanted to be.
How did that word get up there?

Well, it turns out that there is a germ of truth here. I have been reading about this utterly remarkable woman who was born in Africa. I was wandering through her aerial exploits in her single engine monoplane over unsettled unfriendly countryside, taking off and landing on rough, uncharted landing strips, and my mind led me back to another continent, to another time, indeed another century.
It was late Fall 1944, in Europe. There was this moment in the war when I might have had a brush with the heroic...didn't seem so at the time.
We were in this historic battle for that fortress city of Metz, right on
the French-German border, a bastion that had never been captured by
enemy warriors throughout history, and here we were: fighting the Germans who had holed up in the forts of the Maginot Line. (Built by the French, but captured by the Germans during the Blitzkreig.)

Two companies in our 95th division, were attempting an end-around
attack, devised by our bombastic regimental commander, Col. Bacon, a Patton protégé. (come to think of it, he now reminds me of Donald Trump)
By U.S. Signal Corps [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Well the maneuver didn't work, and two companies were trapped on the
other side of the Maginot fortress, running out of food and ammunition and in
desperate need of first aid materials for their wounded comrades.
In the midst of all this mayhem, Captain Compton, our company
commander a decent human being, a high school gym teach from South
Carolina, called me to his quarters.

“Weedenthal,” (he incessantly called me Weedenthal)
“Weedenthal, you ever flown in a plane?”
“No sir, never flown in a plane.”
“Well here's your chance. Show up tomorrow after breakfast. We need you to help in a rescue mission. We picked you and Corporal Spinelli to volunteer for the mission. You're small. You'll fit in the space behind the pilot."

So he had volunteered.  Maybe that explains the “hero” word.

"Hold the headline guys. Maybe we can still use it!”

The next morning, after very little sleep, I showed up and we got in a couple
of jeeps. They took Corporal Spinelli, a little cook from Chicago, and me to a
sprawling cow pasture. It was very uncharted; very uneven. In the distance four
Piper Cubs...looking old and fragile, not unlike the plane that our African
queen had been flying a few chapters back. They we actually artillery
spotter planes connected to the battalion of cannons supporting us. In the
Army they were called L-4's

Well Spinelli, and I and two little guys from another unit, looking as
confused as we were, stumbled across the pasture and we each climbed
aboard our plane.

"Private Weidenthal, climb board aboard." said the pilot. (I was pleased
that he, at least, had pronounced the name properly.)
“There is a box back there you can sit on. We'll put the boxes of supplies and your lap.”

So there I was, cramped in the space behind the pilot, sitting on a box
with three boxes on my lap, and we were ready to take off.
This was not Cleveland Hopkins. It was a cow pasture.

I cannot accurately describe how I felt at the moment the plane started
moving.  No stewardess, no seat belts. As I told my mother in a letter later,
it was "like living history in a movie".

I didn't tell her this: Getting off the ground was harrowing. Worse than
driving through a rutted parking lot in our 38 Plymouth.
From the air we could see a battle ground painted by years of
history. Cults, tribes, nations had fought over this land. It was surreal.
Directly below was the Maginot Line. This was not a sightseeing trip for
Senior scholars. This was war, live.

No sign of the enemy, and down the hill were the remnants of the two stranded companies.
Our guys were waving at us madly. We dropped down to maybe 50 feet
and the pilot dipped his wing.

“Okay Weidenthal, open the door!" he shouted above the din of the engine.

In no time I had thrown out all three boxes. The guys waved. I closed the
door and I said to myself, “Thank God this a round trip.”

We swung around, picked up speed and flew back over the forts at a
higher altitude. By that time the Germans figured out what was going on
and were firing at us. Thankfully, we were too high.
We made three round trips, as did the other planes, without casualties
except for a hole in the wing of one of the other Pipers.
A couple of months later, as I recall, I was called to Capt. Compton's
Quarters. There he was again.

"Weedenthal, l want you to show up tomorrow morning."

“Oh my God not another rescue mission,” I thought to myself.

The next day all eight of the four little non-coms and the four pilots were
lined up on the field and a General from the Third Army decorated each of
us with an Air Medal for valor.
And for that moment I felt like a hero.


The rest is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...